Meal Prep 101 with Mike Kelly: Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffed Acorn Squash
By Electric Flight Crew’s Mike Kelly
Acorn squash is in season and when cooked right, is the perfect fall meal.
More often than not, I stuff my acorn squash with whatever is in my fridge/cabinets. I used 3 Acorn Squashes sliced longways for a total of 6 "meals". This time around I used:
2 Acorn Squash
½ lb Ground Turkey (Optional)
4 slices Crumbled Bacon
1 cup Tri-Color Quinoa
1 Cup Mushrooms
3 cloves Garlic
1 Cup Kale
1) Set your oven to 425 Degrees
2) Heat a pan and Drop 4 slices of bacon in. Cook until crispy. Use a cast iron if you have one, save the bacon fat in the pan!
3) Cut the top and bottom off the Acorn Squash then slice the Acorn Squash longways, scooping out the seeds inside.
4) Place the squash face down on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 425 for 30mins.
5) Boil a pot with water and cook the quinoa. Approximately 8-10mins.
6) Chop 1 Cup mushroom, 1 Cup Kale, 1/2 an Onion, and 3 Cloves of Garlic.
7) Chop the bacon and combine with the chopped vegetables
8) The ground Turkey is optional. Cook 1/2lb of Ground Turkey in the skillet where the bacon was cooked. Using the turkey is optional if you'd like the extra calories/lean protein!
9) Combine the turkey with the bacon and vegetable mixture in a large bowl and return to the cast iron. Cook the combination for about 3-4 mins on medium heat.
10) After 30mins, Remove the squash from the oven and let cool face up
11) When cooled, add the filling into the cavity on each squash. Light sprinkle of fresh parmesan is optional! Enjoy!